The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby John Harvey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Thank you Don. I am really looking forward to it. There is so much open space in the state that it makes my mind spin. You could probably fit the entirety  of South Jersey into one of California's wilderness areas and still have room.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 352 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby Ranger Dan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Johnny-

You've provided us with a wealth of very interesting reports and images, and I'm sure that your transcontinental chapter in life will be thrilling as it was for me. You asked about our favorite trees...for me, too, it is the Liriodendrons I missed the most while out West. Did you know that in Western Washington, there are black cottonwoods with similar character?  If you haven't already fallen in love with giant Sequoias, you will. The ancient ones each posess stunning, unique, individual character. Go to the Giant Forest. Greatest place on the planet.  Enjoy!

Dan Miles
Ranger Dan

Has Liked: 13 times
Has Been Liked: 46 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby John Harvey » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Dan,
Thank you, its been so refreshing to share my adventures and findings from NJ with all of you. I actually have never been to the Giant Sequoias so I plan to make a trip soon, probably once the snow clears there. I've also never seen an old growth Sugar Pine and only a couple Ponderosa. My original plan when I started visiting CA a couple years ago was to do the coast first then the Sierra Nevadas but I just got so hooked on the sequoia sempervirens I kept going back. Now Ill be about 4-5 hrs from Mariposa Grove so Ill have no excuse.

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Print view this post

#14)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby Ranger Dan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Yosemite has two other sequoia groves, Merced and Tuolumne, that are far less visited and easily accessed. Access to the Merced grove is seasonal and restricted, and it's touristy. I was amazed to find that many of the sequoia groves offer wilderness character. Calaveras Big Trees is also nearby for you. I would recommend it over the Yosemite ones. It has 2 groves, the first is easy access, but the far grove is seldom-visited and offers trailless exploring among the giants. There are exceptional sugar pines and ponderosas there, and lots is Pacific dogwood that flowers in May. My friend in Tahoe tells me the lack of snow this season is "scary", so snowpack will be light and meltout probably will be early. In a normal year that would be May or early June in the groves. As long as you can get to the groves, exploring them even in the snow is easy and spectacular on a blue-sky day. Usually there is hard snowpack and all you'll need is hiking boots. You can rent snowshoes some places.

Along hwy 50 on the way to Tahoe, there is an area with huge ponderosas and sugar pines near a stunning area of smooth granite and a popular waterfall. In the SW corner of Lake Tahoe, on NF land there is old growth forest along the road and many huge Jeffrey and ponderosa pines, and incense cedars. There is a superabundance of big, spectacular trees all over the Sierra Nevada, even in high, rocky country. It's amazing!

Dan

For this message the author Ranger Dan has received Likes :
John Harvey
Ranger Dan

Has Liked: 13 times
Has Been Liked: 46 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby Barry Caselli » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

I take issue with your opinion, or description of Pitch Pines. Pitch Pine is one of my all-time favorite trees in NJ. That along with Atlantic White Cedar and Buttonwood.
This Pitch Pine is in the Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor. It has to be one of the mature trees that were not removed during the construction of the Bethlehem Loading Company in 1918. If I remember correctly I measured this at 5'11" CBH several years ago.

DSC00117.JPG

Pitch Pine- Estell Manor 1

DSC00118.JPG

Pitch Pine- Estell Manor 2

Barry Caselli

Has Liked: 93 times
Has Been Liked: 35 times
Print view this post

#16)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby John Harvey » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Very nice pitch pine there Barry. There aren't many around here that nice, straight, and large.

For this message the author John Harvey has received Likes :
Barry Caselli
John Harvey

Print view this post

#17)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby eliahd24 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Best of luck to you John!  California is where I first fell in love with plants... wasn't until I spent time exploring old growth in the Piedmont region of Georgia that I fell in love with trees specifically (Tulip poplar is my first "tree love" too).  You're going to have so much fun exploring out west.  I may look you up when I visit (my in-laws are in Southern CA).  Keep up the great work!

For this message the author eliahd24 has received Likes :
John Harvey
eliahd24

Has Liked: 240 times
Has Been Liked: 154 times
Print view this post

#18)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby John Harvey » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks. Sure thing, next time your out this way visiting the inlaws drop me a line and we can explore.

John Harvey

Print view this post

#19)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:16 pm

JohnnyDJersey wrote:
Question. If you suddenly moved away from every single tree species you know and love, what would you miss the most?

Hmmm, I'd have to say:

- bur oak
- eastern hemlock
- American beech
- American sycamore
- tuliptree
- white oak
- shagbark hickory
- black cherry
- sugar maple
- yellow buckeye

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
John Harvey
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#20)  Re: The big move to California, the trees I leave behind :(

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:40 am

Is there anything in california that replicates the luminous, otherwordly character of a twisted yellow birch in a deep hemlock forest?
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 243 times
Has Been Liked: 310 times
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey