Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby bailey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm into nature photography and since returning to my hometown area have been exploring both east and west bear swamp.   I believe I came across the same Tulip tree John posted back in 2013, since its winter months I figured I share a few shots of it.

For this message the author bailey has received Likes - 4:
Barry Caselli, Erik Danielsen, greenent22, Jess Riddle
bailey

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 8 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby John Harvey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Bailey,
Very nice. I miss the old swamp since I moved away. There isn't anything quite like it out here now. Did you come across any other large tulip trees?
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 352 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby bailey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:07 am

Thanks John,
I've only explored East twice, and came across a few other large Tulips but nothing that compared to this.  I've been to West now 3 times and have a fourth trip planned soon...waiting for the water table to go down some.  The old growth in West is kind of magical, you walk through black pines, hollies, briers, dead oaks and swamp, then come across little pockets of trees that tower over everything else.  I've heard lure that possibly the oldest holly in North America resides in West Swamp.  So far in west the largest I've come across has been a grove of cedars and a few American Beech.  I'll post some pictures of Swamp West after next trip.
bailey

Print view this post

#14)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby Erik Danielsen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 am

Bailey,

If you wouldn't mind I'd love to tag along on your next Great Bear Swamp expedition- looks like it's pretty easy to get out there from where I live. You photograph, I measure- could be a great trip. It's a busy spring but with a little notice I'm sure I could squeeze a day out. If you're interested, let me know. An ancient holly would be something to meet!
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 243 times
Has Been Liked: 310 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby John Harvey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am

Bailey,
I know there are some massive tulip trees in swamp west that I didn't see. The forest is so dense in spots you can almost walk by one and not see it, almost like a redwood forest. Here is a photo of where you should be able to find the largest trees, in swamp west.
Attachments
BSW.jpg
Bear Swamp West
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 352 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#16)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby bailey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks John, that area lines up with what I've discovered so far, here's a track of my last time in the swamp, the bottom group of POI pins I marked were cedars and some really big American beech.  I found West tricky getting into, the easiest access is through the sand wash area but is private property, you have to start out on Railroad ave past the bend where it becomes WMA, ,cut through to the railroad tracks and follow them until you find a suitable enough entry point to the left.  
Erik, I dont usually plan my trips here they just kind of happen since it's nearby, but I can provide you some guidance and gps coordinates if you do decide to make the trip.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-02-27-23-10-17.png
bailey

Print view this post

#17)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby wisconsitom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Why am I not surprised that there is a large sand mine in direct vicinity of this land?  Oh yeah that's right....I'm from Wisconsin, where nowadays, any unique bit of forest is easily compromised to help companies from Texas or wherever get "their" frack sand out.  Nice report about an important bit of east coast intact nature.....for now.
wisconsitom

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 17 times
Print view this post

#18)  Re: Old Growth report, Bear Swamp East explored w/pictures

Postby Erik Danielsen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks Bailey, I'll definitely get out there sometime and look forward to comparing notes with you and John.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 243 times
Has Been Liked: 310 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to New Jersey