Big Black Spruce

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wrecsvp

Big Black Spruce

Post by wrecsvp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 pm

In November I visited a large tract of Acadian Forest in the vicinity of Ayers Lake NB. This forest has large and old examples of trees such as Hemlock, Red Spruce, Yellow Birch, Sugar Maple, White Ash, and Red Oak. I have a few significant findings from this trip, which I will post here from time to time, somewhat mirroring posts made on facebook here https://www.facebook.com/AyersLakeAndSurroundingForest.
I start with this fantastic Black Spruce I measured there: with my nikon 550 I got a an even 100' tall and a CBH of 72.5". Didn't measure the crown spread, but this is both taller and has a slightly larger bole than the largest one in the American Forests DB:
http://www.americanforests.org/bigtree/picea-mariana/ lists a tree in NH at 93' tall with a cirucumference of 71"
100ft_black_spruce.JPG

Larry Tucei

Re: Big Black Spruce

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm

What a beauty. I've read where Black Spruce can reach heights to 150' but I don't know about that. Larry

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Larry,
I've repeatedly seen the claim in books of Black Spruce being "a small tree, which occasionally attains 100 ft" (or the equivalent 30 m), but I had never seen Black Spruce even close to that until visiting this site. I measured 3 out of about a dozen large-looking Black Spruce within easy hiking distance of this one and all were over 90'.
Owen

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Owen,

Wow! You and Larry are rewriting the record books for Black Spruce.

The tree he posted on yesterday (http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5896) has nearly identical height/girth as the one that you found. It would be interesting to compare the average spreads. They would probably end up being AF co-champions.

Matt

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Matt,
what a coincidence, I hadn't realized that Larry just posted some other huge Black Spruce in Wisconsin! Thanks for letting me know. As people are then probably in the mood for seeing big black spruce, I'll post a couple other large ones I found in NB.
Owen

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:44 pm

A couple of other big Picea mariana from the same site:
91' tall, 56" CBH
91' tall, 56" CBH
93' tall
93' tall

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Matt Markworth wrote:Owen,

The tree he posted on yesterday (http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5896) has nearly identical height/girth as the one that you found. It would be interesting to compare the average spreads. They would probably end up being AF co-champions.

Matt
Matt,

Except it is in the "wrong" country...

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Will Blozan wrote:
Matt Markworth wrote:Owen,

Matt
Matt,

Except it is in the "wrong" country...

Will
Hahahaha, too funny! I have a bunch of maps hanging up and I even walked over and looked at a map of the Canadian Maritimes. Good to get a good laugh at myself once in awhile for sure.

Matt

wrecsvp

Post by wrecsvp » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Matt, don't feel too silly as this opens the door to a long-time question for me at least...
Does anybody have suggestions where to submit champion candidate trees found in Canada? Things seem pretty undocumented on my side of the international border (working on that!). It would be nice, as was naively implied earlier in the thread, to have a North American database which doesn't worry about human-invented political borders.

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 am

Owen:
I never realized Black Spruce is such a majestic looking tree on a site that is not muskeg. Thanks for posting. Why don.t you post your measurements on the Trees database. Link is on sidebar of this site. One of the purposes of the database is to get tree dimensions over the entire range of the species. There are several entries from different parts of Canada and we need more.
Turner

Return to “New Brunswick”