Nice Red Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

mikekowalski

Nice Red Oak

Post by mikekowalski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 pm

ENTS,

I came across these few pics of a nice red oak near Grand Lake on old provincial park grounds. CBH = 374 cm. It lost a branch a few years ago but still seems to be doing fine. Images were taken last fall.
Attachments
IMG_2544 (Small).JPG
IMG_2543 (Small).JPG
IMG_2542 (Small).JPG
Mike

edfrank

Re: Nice Red Oak

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Mike,

Very nice red oak. In more nore northern areas the biggest oaks seem to be more commonly white oaks. it is impressive to see a big red ok like this one.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

mikekowalski

Post by mikekowalski » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Ed,

I've seen lots of good size reds, and will try and post as many as I can. Bur is the only native white up here as far as I know - and they certainly seem much rarer. I'd say overall the sizes aren't that dissimilar between the two species.
Mike

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Mike,

I was thinking of Quercus alba in PA and New England. According to the range maps this species does not extend as far north as New Brunswick http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/queralba.pdf These include the largest I have seen in PA and luminaries such as the Granby Oak in CT
quercusalba.JPG
Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

mikekowalski

Post by mikekowalski » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Ed,

That's what I figured. I've never seen a white oak but I sure would like to. I wonder if the range will extend into NB due to climate change...
Mike

Return to “New Brunswick”