Christmas Mountains

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

mikekowalski

Christmas Mountains

Post by mikekowalski » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm

ENTS,

Just came across this article and thought it might be of interest: http://www.nbmediacoop.org/index.php?op ... Itemid=197
Mike

edfrank

Re: Christmas Mountains

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Mike,

Nice post about the Acadian Forest and Lumbering versus Conservation. I really did not have any substantive comments but did read the article:
Remembering the Christmas Mountains
Friday, 11 February 2011 11:48 Tracy Glynn
http://www.nbmediacoop.org/index.php?op ... Itemid=197

Click on image to see its original size
Clearcut on the Christmas Mountains. Photo: CCNB.

Almost twenty years ago, New Brunswickers began a battle to save the Christmas Mountains in northern New Brunswick in what many recall as the largest mobilization for the forests in the province.

Today, the Christmas Mountains, located 70 kilometres west of Miramichi, are on the minds of those who love the area as another piece is carved off and clearcut; this time along the North Pole Stream.

“The North Pole Stream is a prime salmon spawning grounds and should be protected. North Pole Stream got its name for it’s cold temperatures that are needed by the salmon. Besides, the area should be protected for its natural beauty,” said David MacDonald, a resident of Moncton and board member of the Conservation Council.

The mountain range was once home to one of the few remaining large tracts of old growth Acadian forest, but now they are largely patchy clearcut remains.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “New Brunswick”